Step-By-Step Process of Changing Your Business Address

Choosing the place or location of your business is one of the many decisions you have to decide on as a business owner. Usually, the location is a major predictor of foot traffic, which inevitably affects sales and performance.

Moreover, accounting services in the Philippines say that the location of your business also tend to scale and grow with your operations. There are many startup businesses that outgrow their initial location. Some expand their business while some decide to move to another location with cheaper rent. If you’re looking to move to a different location, here’s the step-by-step process of what needs to be done.

1. Amendment of Incorporation Details

Submit the forms including the amendments to the SEC. It is important to add the amended documents, secretary’s certificate, and board resolution for the change of address. 

These are the requirements you must prepare:

  • Latest due original or certified true copy Financial Statements and Income Tax Return (duly stamped by BIR)
  • Provide a copy of the following:
  • Latest due General Information Sheet
  • Certificate of Incorporation
  • Existing Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws
  • The first page of the Registration of Stock and Transfer Book 

2. Retire Your Business (Barangay Level)

The database for barangays and cities is not unified so tax services in Manila says there’s a need to do the process called the retirement of your business address. Once approved, your business location is deemed closed.

Requirements for this step are the following:

  • Latest barangay certificate (Original and Photocopy)
  • Letter of request with the reason for the retirement of the old address and should be signed by the President or Corporate Secretary
  • Authorization letter with ID for people assigned to the task but not an authorized signatory of the business. 
  • Retirement fee (Depends on the Barangay)

3. Retire Your Business (City Level)

Note that you will only have 30 days from the amendment of the articles of incorporation to file a request for business retirement in the city hall.

Take note of these requirements:

  • Letter of Request for Retirement of Old Address
  • Application Form (Notarized)
  • Barangay Certificate with the statement of actual closure and its effectivity date
  • Audited Financial Statements and ITR for three years prior to the retirement date
  • Mayor’s Permit (Original): If you lost it, submit an affidavit of loss along with a photocopy
  • Current Year’s Computerized Assessments & Official Receipt/s
  • Current Year’s Monthly and/or Quarterly BIR VAT Returns / ITR for the current year.
  • Certificate of Gross Sales for the current year (certified by an accountant)
  • Cedula/CTC for three years of the retirement date.
  • Board Resolution/Secretary’s certificate (Original)
  • Affidavit of No Operation (If the business is non-operational)
  • Authorization letter with ID (in case the assigned person is not an authorized signatory of the business)
  • Pay the fees

4. Get a New Barangay Clearance

After the retirement of your old address, tax and accounting services in the Philippines say you can now start to apply for new permits. A barangay clearance is needed for you to get a new business permit in your new business address. 

Requirements for this are as follows:

  • Latest Cedula/CTC 
  • DTI Registration of Business Name
  • Fee for Barangay Business Permit

5. Get a New Business Permit

Of course, you cannot operate your business in its new location without the proper business permit. 

These are the requirements:

  • Certificate of Business Name Registration from DTI (for Sole Proprietorships)
  • Articles of Partnership (for Partnerships)
  • Articles for Incorporation from SEC (for Corporations)
  • Certificate of Registration from Cooperative Development Authority (for Cooperatives) 
  • Barangay Business Clearance
  • The owner’s Authorization letter with ID
  • Lease Contract (if leased)
  • Certificate of Title (if owned)
  • Sketch of the business location
  • Occupancy Permit
  • Sanitary Permit
  • Fire Permit
  • Cedula or Community Tax Certificate
  • Public Liability Insurance
  • Locational Clearance

6. Transfer your business records from your previous RDO to your new RDO

Since the BIR system is not centralized, you also have to transfer your records from the old RDO to a new RDO for proper registration.

These are the requirements:

  • Request for transfer with reason and the dissolution effectivity date
  • Old RDO reports the missing documents/tax returns their system
  • Settle and Pay Unpaid Balances
  • Fill out Form 1905
  • Delinquency Verification (signed by different departments in BIR)
  • Give Original BIR Certificate and “Ask for Receipt” notice
  • Secretary and Board Resolution Certificate
  • Income Tax returns with Financial Statements for 2 years (Photocopy)
  • Used and unused Original Receipts (Inventory list)
  • Copy of Form 0605 (Registration form)
  • Certificate from the city hall stating that the business has “retired”
  • Give “Authority to Print” Form
  • Business Tax paid at the LGU (Photocopy)
  • Short Period Return
  • Authorization letter with ID for people assigned to the task but not an authorized signatory of the business. 

Changing your business location is straightforward with the steps outline above. However, as a busy entrepreneur, securing what’s needed for the transfer is not easy. It requires your time, effort, and a lot of patience especially in processing the required business documents. If you need help, call our accounting services in Pasig so we can help you out.